Sunday, February 1, 2009

Faces - I hate painting faces!!


I think the title says it all.

I hate painting faces, actually ANY skin. I can never get it right.

My all time favorite paint to use as a skin base tone is Ral Partha's # 77-911 Warrior Flesh. I have not been able to find it for many, many years and have not found a good substitute either.

So, I'm playing around with a few colors trying to work something out. I had found a real good combo when I was working on my OG F&IW British foot but have lost my notes. I still have the sample card I made but for some reason I didn't write down the paints on it.

So far I've tested Vallejo Game Color 72004 'Elf Skintone' and Citadel's Foundation 'Tallarn Flesh'. The first one was too pink and the other looked good wet, but strange when dried. I have also played with a few combinations as well.

The combo that I've settled on is Vallejo Model Color 860 'Medium Fleshtone', Vallejo Game Color 72041 'Dwarf Flesh and DecoArt Americana 'Cashmere Beige'. I used equal parts of each and it's 'Okay', but still a bit pale. I've talked to a few friends about what they use and am going to try some of what they've suggested.

This is an example of the combo paint being used as a base.

You might note that my picture taking is getting a little better as well. This time the green shows up better!

This next photo is of a couple of test figures. While blocking in the uniforms I noticed what looked like hoodies on some of the heads, under the chinstraps. I didn't like it so I replaced them and am using the figures as test subjects.

What you are seeing are two of the minis with the combo skin tone and a flesh wash.

The flesh wash is Games Workshop Citadel Colour 61-76 'Flesh Wash'. I used it straight out of the bottle and undiluted.

These are the same figures.

Next time I'll use a wash formula given to me by a friend of the net. Here is the formula he uses for a basic black wash.

"...basic Black Wash I'll use about 1 part in 6-8 Floor Polish, the balance being water and acrylic paint or oil (typically 3 or 4 parts Tamiya Smoke and/or Black with 2-3 parts Water and 1 Floor Polish) – this is designed to give best of both worlds, break the tension and help provide a bit of a hard coat on the pain job."

What I'll try is one part floor polish to 3 or 4 parts Flesh Wash and 2 or 3 parts water.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Before I go, let me tell you about another figure that disappointed me.

While painting the flesh tone on my Russians I noticed that one of the standard bearers had that same hoodie type thing on it's head as well. The only thing I can figure is that it's a head wrap to keep the ears and neck warm. I still don't like it so he had to go as well. The poor chap has been sent to the Gulag in Siberia as a test subject.

Here's the new recruit who replaced him.

I think I'm getting the hang of using the pin drill. This time I was able to get a perfect hole drilled right through the center of the hand/pole section. All that had to be done was the removal of the tiny sliver of pole left on the outside of the fist.

This guy will get his primer coat and then will be brought up to speed, paint wise, with the others. After this I'll get to work on the flesh.

Perhaps tonight additional pictures will get posted. I have some work to do on the woodwork in our kitchen first. We've had a bit of an indecent at the house that has turned into an nightmare. If your interested you can check that story out here.

Till next time...

До свидания!!

1 comment:

  1. Check out the face painting on my blog:

    Not too hard and looks good from a distance.